dis/lit

not just another umw blogs weblog

“The Trouble With Jerry”

with 5 comments

I just finished reading the Telethons article and decided to see if I could find an example of one on youtube.  Instead, I found this video:

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/fKCf1NVk8Lw" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

I thought this video was pretty relevant to Longmore’s article since the article discusses the costs of telethons.  Clearly, telethons do provoke upset among those who actually have disabilities.  In the article, columnist Bob Greene is quoted saying Jerry Lewis’ telethons are  “the only way that will work” (504).  I disagree with Greene’s justification of Lewis’ telethons because of the use of the word “only”.  There’s no way that a telethon is the only thing available for raising money and awareness of disability, especially when the results gained don’t necessarily justify the means.

Even though the use of telethons has decreased, this video proves that their effects are long lasting.  The article says that telethons began to decline in the early 1990s, and this video is from 2009.  I also thought that the people in this video were not struggling with “the loss of American identity” (505), an idea about disabled people the telethons promoted.  Both the woman and the man interviewed  in this video are well spoken and know exactly what they believe, leading me to believe that they are pretty comfortable with their identities.

One last thing that bothered me- was it really necessary to zoom the camera in so close to the woman’s face?  It didn’t even show her whole head.  Is that standard when filming someone talking/an interview or does it say something about whoever filmed the video?

Written by Susan

August 29th, 2010 at 6:57 pm